Wednesday 1 February 2006

Comic stores in London

An out of country friend recently enquired about comic shops in London.I thought it may be worthwhile documenting my guide for reference. In no particular order: (I will however say, support the little man).

The Comicbook Marketplace = Borough Market
Royal National Hotel,Bedford Way, London, WC1 (Russell Square)
I think this happens once a month. I definitely recommend a visit. You will find something for your collection.

Forbidden Planet = Ikea
020 7420 3666
179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JR (Tottenham Court)
Its big and its expensive. Worth it alone to see the memorabilia section. Oh yes I saw Frank Skinner in here last weekend.

Gosh! = Boutique
020 7636 1011
39 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3BD (Tottenham Court)
Don't miss e hidwen downswairs section. I believe Gosh! is partly owned by Jonathan Ross. (British presenter/funny guy, with a bit of a lisp)

Mighty World Of Comicana = Musty world of comics
020 7836 5630
237 Shaftesbury Avenue, London,WC2H 8EH (Tottenham Court)
Lots of back issues

Comic Showcase = Corner shop
020 7434 4349
63 Charing Cross Road, London , WC2H 0NE (Leicester Square/Tottenham Court)
Focus is on independent titles

Mega City Comics = Think "Clerks"
18 Inverness Street, Camden Town, London NW1 7HJ (Camden Town)
020 7485 9320
This was the first comic shop I visited in the UK. So it's always on my list of shops to pop into. Has a large variety of trades, back issues and new.

Book & Comic Exchange = Crack House
0845-644 1442
14 Pembridge Road, Notting Hill, W11 3HL (Nottinghill Gate)
If you are desperate pop in otherwise give this a miss. Apparently they excel in out of print, recently published (often untouched preview copies) and hard to find books that are simply really cheap.

30th Century = Library
020 8788 2052
18 Lower Richmond Road, Putney, London, SW15 1JP (Putney Bridge)
Asyet I haven't visited yet, but I have heard good things about this establishment.

In a bind most branches of Waterstones,Borders or Foyles will have a collection of well thumbed graphic novels.I should mention it seems as if these shops have a shared belief that people that buy comics have some sort of strange and mixed up secret alphabet. I have yet to decipher their organisational system.

Popular theories run from novels being sorted by spine colour, authors nickname or the "Rain Man" is actually working the shelves.

No comments: